Did you recently slip on a slick surface, trip over an object or suffer a different type of fall while you were visiting another’s property? If the person, company or government agency that owns and/or manages the property neglected to take steps that could have prevented your injuries, you may be entitled to compensation.
At Hausmann-McNally, S.C., our attorneys and staff understand the major role that compensation plays in the lives of people who suffer slip and fall injuries – and in the lives of their family members, too. For more than four decades, we have helped slip and fall victims to pursue claims for their medical bills, lost income, pain, suffering and more. In every case, our law firm’s mission is to:
- Provide our clients with the highest level of service
- Pursue maximum compensation for their injuries.
Contact us to discuss how we can make a difference in your slip and fall case. With offices across several states, we can provide a free consultation today and help you to understand your rights and options.
No Cost, No Fee, VIP Guarantee
If you are not satisfied with our services within the first 30 days after you hire our law firm, we will return your case file to you and charge you nothing for our services.
Do You Have a Slip and Fall Claim?
“Slip and fall” is a personal injury law term. People use it to describe a fall that occurs due to a dangerous property condition. Many slip and falls are preventable. They result from a property owner’s careless or reckless conduct. Some frequent causes of slip and falls are:
- Slick surfaces due to spilled liquids or a recent mopping
- Ice, snow or slush on sidewalks or in parking lots
- Objects left in aisles or other walking areas
- Uneven or cracked pavement
- Broken stairs or railings
- Floor tiles that have not been properly set
- Poor lighting in halls, stairs or other common areas
- Torn or frayed carpeting
- A covered hole in the yard.
A slip and fall is the most common type of premises liability case. Premises liability is an area of law that establishes the duties that people who own or occupy property owe to their visitors. If the property owner or occupier breaches that duty, and you suffer injuries as a result, you may be eligible to recover compensation.
For instance, store owners generally owe the highest level of duty to their customers. They typically must address or warn about any dangerous property conditions that they know about – or reasonably should have known about. If you were hurt in a fall due to a store owner’s negligence, the store may be liable for your losses.
In some cases, property owners and occupiers – or their insurance companies – argue that the hazard that caused a person’s slip and fall was an “open and obvious” one. They try to claim that the person could have avoided the hazard. Their goal is to deny or minimize your slip and fall claim. At Hausmann-McNally, we won’t let that happen to you. We will aggressively challenge any attempts to blame you for your slip and fall injuries.
Our ability to prepare a solid case on your behalf starts with your free consultation. Contact us today to learn more.
What Should You Do After a Slip and Fall?
If you recently suffered a slip and fall, you should take these steps in the days ahead in order to protect your health and your legal rights:
- Get medical attention. You will not know whether you have suffered injuries – or know the full extent of your injuries – until you see a doctor. The doctor can diagnose and document your injuries, and you can get started on a course of treatment as early as possible.
- Report to the property owner or occupier. If you suffer a slip and fall on commercial property like a store or office building, you should file a report with the owner, manager or even with a security officer. You can also write a note to give notice to the owner or tenant of a private residence where your accident occurred.
- Gather as much evidence as you can. You should keep the clothes you wore on the day of the fall, any photos you took of the accident scene and of your injuries and all contact information that you have for witnesses. You should also keep all bills and receipts related to the slip and fall.
- Contact an experienced slip and fall attorney. As early as possible, you should seek help from a lawyer about your case. You will get a much better understanding of your rights and the options available to you, and the lawyer can start immediate work on your case.
- Refer the insurance company to your lawyer. If an insurance company calls or visits, you should refer the insurer to your attorney. You should never give a recorded statement or accept a settlement until you discuss the matter with your lawyer first.
How Can a Lawyer Help with Your Slip and Fall Case?
At Hausmann-McNally, we know how a slip and fall can lead to serious, life-changing injuries. We often work with people who have suffered traumatic brain injury, spinal cord damage, soft tissue injury and severe and/or multiple fractures due to falls. Many of our clients need extensive medical treatment and cannot work due to their injuries.
When we work with you on your slip and fall case, our legal team will focus on your physical and emotional well-being and work hard to ease your burdens. You can count on us to:
- Treat you with respect and give you the attention you deserve.
- Collect all evidence related to your slip and fall, including photos, video, witness statements, accident reports and medical records.
- Contact your doctor or hospital so you are not hounded with medical bills while we work towards resolving your case.
- Deal directly with insurance companies on your behalf and demand a settlement that fully and fairly compensates you.
- Fight for you in the courtroom if a trial is necessary.
Our legal team features experienced and compassionate attorneys as well as many other highly dedicated professionals who will work “behind the scenes” to pursue maximum compensation for you, including paralegals and investigators. We believe that communication is the key to a successful relationship with our clients. Our door will always be open to discuss what is happening in your case.
What Compensation Can Slip and Fall Victims Recover?
As we work on your case, Hausmann-McNally will identify all commercial or homeowner’s insurance policies that apply to your accident and pursue the maximum amount for you. The damages we seek on your behalf in your slip and fall case could include:
- Past and future medical bills
- Lost income
- Reduced future earning ability
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Loss of your spouse’s services and companionship
- Punitive damages
- Wrongful death damages (if your loved one died from a fall).
Every case is different. So, you should contact us today to receive a review of the specific facts of your slip and fall case and an assessment of the damages we can pursue on your behalf.
Are You Ready for a Free Consultation About Your Slip and Fall Case?
Every state has a statute of limitations. It limits the amount of time that you have to file a personal injury or wrongful death claim after an accident such as a slip and fall. Because your lawyer will need time to research and prepare your case, don’t wait to seek legal help. Call or reach Hausmann-McNally today for a free consultation. We are ready to make a difference for you.
Get VIP Service
From Our Attorneys Today!
Proving Fault in Slip and Fall Cases
Unfortunately, many businesses and property owners cut corners and do not properly maintain their premises. Each unsafe premise case depends on whether the property owner acted reasonably in maintaining and/or repairing their premise and whether they gave proper warning of unsafe conditions so that frequenters would not be injured.
In most cases, a person injured on someone else’s property must prove that the cause of the accident was an unsafe or dangerous condition, and that the owner or person in charge of the property knew or should have known of the unsafe condition. An experienced personal injury attorney can help you determine whether it is advisable to file a personal injury claim in your situation based upon the facts of your case.
Our attorneys are experienced in this area and willing to discuss your case with you free of cost or obligation on the first call or visit. In many cases, we will send out an investigator to look into the circumstances and take measurements, photographs and preserve evidence in order to properly analyze and determine the validity of your case. Our firm’s investigators and attorneys will also research possible building and maintenance code violations relative to your fact situation. In many of the cases we have handled we have found that city building inspectors have warned property owners of code violations and safety hazards and that the property owners did not take the appropriate action in repairing and making the premise safe.
In the appropriate and serious case we will also retain home and/or building inspectors, engineers and accident reconstructionists to determine the cause of your injury and place your case in the strongest possible position for resolution and trial.
If you think you are a victim of a Slip & Fall Case call us Toll Free at 1-800-227-6699.